April 12, 2012
April 12 (Today) Parks And Recreation Commission - The Long Beach Parks and Recreation Commission meets at 9 a.m. at the El Dorado Park West Community Center Senior Center Library, 2800 Studebaker Rd. For more information, call 562/570-3170 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
April 16 Harbor Commission Meeting - The Long Beach Board of Harbor Commissioners meets at 1 p.m. at the port administration building, 925 Harbor Plaza. The agenda is forthcoming. For more information, visit http://www.polb.com.
April 17 City Council Meetings - The Long Beach City Council meets at 6 p.m. at City Hall to discuss: accepting funding from the State of California Department of Health Services to provide beach water quality monitoring and public notifications; protecting taxpayers from bearing special election costs due to city officials not completing their full terms; and more. Prior to its regular meeting, the city council gathers as the successor agency to the Long Beach Redevelopment Agency at 3:30 p.m. to discuss Fire Station 12 and more. It also meets for a special budget meeting at 5 p.m. to receive a report on potential tax measures as revenue raising options. For more information, visit http://www.longbeach.gov/council.
April 19 Planning Commission Meeting - The Long Beach Planning Commission meets at 5 p.m. at City Hall. The agenda is forthcoming. Visit http://www.lbds.info/planning.
April 20 Deadline For Port Interim Headquarters Information Submittals - The Port of Long Beach is requesting information from office building owners and their representatives as part of its search for an interim headquarters facility. According to officials, the port's current building at 925 Harbor Plaza no longer meets its needs and does not meet today's earthquake codes. The port plans to either lease or purchase its new facility. Information may be submitted no later than 3 p.m. on April 20. The complete “Request for Information” document is available for download at http://www.polb.com/economics/contractors/rfq_rfp/information.asp.
Business Meetings And Other Events:
• April 12: The Queen Mary and the Long Beach Chamber host the first Long Beach Business Expo in the ship's Grand Salon from 4-9 p.m. Tickets are $15. Visit http://www.queenmary.com/LB-Business-Expo.aspx.
• April 14: The Los Angeles County Fire Department and the Signal Hill Police Department are offering a free three-day course for community emergency response team training taking place April 14, April 21 and April 28, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Signal Hill Community Center. Must be at least 18 years old to participate. To enroll, contact Sergeant Robert Cravens at 562/989-7222, ext. 46, or by e-mailing email@example.com.
• April 16: Councilmember Gerrie Schipske hosts “Open Up Long Beach” with a tour of the Emergency Communications & Operating Center (ECOC) to learn how emergencies are handled in the city, 6:30-9 p.m., ECOC, 2990 Redondo Ave. RSVP at http://www.longbeach.gov/district5.
• April 16: The Long Beach Area Chamber of Commerce hosts a business networking mixer, 5:30-7:30 p.m., KAVIKAS Grill & Bar. Register at http://www.lbchamber.com/events or by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
• April 17: California State University, Dominguez Hills (CSUDH) hosts the free Southern California Technology in Education Conference, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., CSUDH Loker Student Union. Register at http://www.csudh.edu/actech/techday.
• April 18: Naples Island Business Association meeting, noon to 1 p.m., Naples Rib Company. Visit http://www.naplesislandbusiness.com.
• April 19: Belmont Shore Parking and Business Improvement Area Advisory Commission meeting, 8 a.m., Bay Shore Library. Visit http://www.longbeach.gov.
• April 19: 3rd District Neighborhood Association meeting with speaker Curtis Tani, director of technology services for the City of Long Beach, 11:45 a.m., Long Beach Yacht Club. Call 562/570-8756.
• April 21: Councilmember Gerrie Schipske hosts the third annual Solar Grand Prix competition, 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., El Dorado Park at the corner of Willow and Studebaker Road. Call 562/570-6932 or visit http://www.longbeach.gov/district5/solargrandprix.
• April 26: Rotaract Long Beach hosts “Love Your City!” to benefit The Palace, a new apartment building for former foster youth, 4:30-11 p.m., The Factory Gastropub. Visit http://www.rotaractlb.org/love-your-city.
• April 28: St. Mary Medical Center and St. Anthony High School host the third annual SAINTS Run 5K to benefit the school’s students in need of financial aid, 8 a.m., Belmont Pier. Cost to pre-register on or before April 25 is $15 for participants 18 years old and under, $30 for participants 19 years old and over. Register at http://www.longbeachsaints.org.
Want Morning Coffee to be delivered directly to your inbox?
Then, just fill in your Name and Email Address in the above fields to be added as a Morning Coffee subscriber!