Fill in your Name and Email Address in the above fields to be added as a Morning Coffee subscriber.
In order to keep you up to date about important activities within the Long Beach community that may affect you or your business - including possible city ordinances - we provide you an e-mail blast every Monday morning, reaching you around 6 a.m.
It briefly covers agenda items for upcoming meetings of the Long Beach City Council, the Long Beach Harbor Commission, Long Beach Planning Commission and other city commissions, as well as special meetings of interest to business owners and their employees. We also provide brief information about community and neighborhood meetings and events.
It's brief, easy to read, a great way to keep you informed and a great way to start your morning.
|Monday Morning Coffee - 6/17/13|
Morning Coffee - A Caffeinated News Update
June 17, 2013
New Issues Of The Long Beach Business Journal Hit Stands Tomorrow:
• Copies are at the office today! Feel free to stop by and pick one up. We're located at 2599 E. 28th St., Ste. 212 in Signal Hill. We open at 8:30 a.m.
City Meetings And Events:
• June 17: Port of Long Beach Harbor Commissioners meet at 1 p.m. at port administration building, 925 Harbor Plaza, to discuss: report from Solis Group on project labor agreements for Middle Harbor project; update on demonstrations of zero-emissions equipment for port operations; a $1 million contract with MBC Applied Environmental Sciences, in partnership with the Port of Los Angeles, for a 2013 biological survey of San Pedro Bay; a $2.2 million contract for joint command and control center infrastructure enhancements; and more. For more information, visit http://polb.com/commission.
• June 18: Long Beach City Council meets at 5 p.m. at city hall to discuss: transferring administrative control of land used for oil field operations from the Port of Long Beach to the city, related to the Gerald Desmond Bridge project; a grant to support the professional services to prepare a new development code for the Southeast Area Development and Improvement Plan (SEADIP); accepting nearly $6 million in Workforce Investment Act grants for training provider vendors; purchasing earthquake insurance covering city hall and the convention center; and more. For more information, visit http://longbeach.legistar.com.
• June 20: The Long Beach Board of Water Commissioners meets from 9-10 a.m. in the boardroom at the water department administration building, 1800 E. Wardlow Rd., to discuss: adopting the 2013-2014 budget for the department and sending that budget to the city manager, mayor and city council; fixing rates and charges for water and sewer services to all customers pending the approval of the city council by ordinance; and more. Call Sandy Fox at 562/570-2302.
• June 20: The Long Beach Planning Commission meets at 5 p.m. at city hall to discuss a conditional use permit to convert an office building into a self-storage building in the 1st Council District and to conduct a study session regarding the Long Beach Housing Element 5 update. Visit http://longbeach.legistar.com.
• June 20: Second District Councilmember Suja Lowenthal hosts the State of the Second District from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at the Edison Theatre, 213 E. Broadway. RSVP by calling 562/570-6684.
• June 25: Seventh District Councilmember James Johnson hosts a free port cruise for district residents at 6 p.m. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 562/570-7777.
• June 26: Eighth District Councilmember Al Austin hosts Congress in Your Community with staff of Congresswoman Janice Hahn from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the district field office, 5641 Atlantic Ave. Call 310/831-1799 or e-mail email@example.com.
Business Meetings & Events:
• June 17: Leadership Long Beach Institute Class of 2013 hosts a welcome reception and class service project presentation at 5 p.m. at the Long Beach Performing Arts Center, 300 E. Ocean Blvd. Presentation of class service projects at 6 p.m., followed by a dinner and graduation ceremony at 7:30 p.m. The reception and presentation events are free and open to the public. Parking is $10. Graduation is $50. Call 562/997-9194.
• June 17: Wrigley Area Neighborhood Alliance meets from 7-9 p.m. at Veterans Park Social Hall, 101 E. 28th St. featuring guest speaker Diane Ripley to discuss the Wrigley Heights Cleanup project. Coffee, desserts and other refreshments provided. On-site childcare provided with no charge with 24-hour notice. Call 562/427-5021.
• June 19: Long Beach Chamber hosts a business networking breakfast at 7:15 a.m. at the Holiday Inn Long Beach Airport Hotel, 2640 N. Lakewood Blvd., featuring guest speaker Wende Nichols-Julien, president of The California Conference for Equality and Justice, to discuss “Human Relations in the New Economy.” $15 for members; $30 for non-members. Call 562/599-9234 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• June 20: Long Beach Chamber Women’s Business Council (WBC) hosts “Celebrating Women in Business Dinner” from 5:30-7:30 p.m. at Hotel Maya, 700 Queensway Dr. as a thank you to the 2013 WBC Board of Directors. Call 562/432-8128.
• June 21: The Tippers Club, a group of professional business associates in Long Beach, meets from 7-8:30 a.m. at The Grand, 4010 E. Willow St., for breakfast, networking opportunities and to hear from a featured speaker. Learn more at http://www.thetippersclub.com.
• June 22: Friends of Bixby Park host the 2nd annual “Art in the Park’ exhibition from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. featuring works by local artists, poetry reading and live music performed by Second Wind. Picnic box lunches available for $10. Visit http://www.friendsofbixbypark.org.
• June 27: Long Beach Chapter of the Lincoln Clubs meets at noon for its monthly meeting at the Long Beach Yacht Club, 6201 E. Appian Way. Guest speaker is Jim Burlte, new chairman of the California Republican Party. Lunch is $25 for members; $35 for non-members. Call 562/439-9390.
• June 27: Long Beach Chamber hosts 122nd Inaugural Gala honoring Long Beach aviation partners Aeroplex, Airflite, Boeing, Long Beach Airport, Marriott Long Beach and UPS. The Destination Tomorrow Award is being presented to JetBlue. In addition, the gala is honoring outgoing chairman Jerry Miller and incoming chairman LaDonna DiCamillo. Reception at 5:45 p.m., dinner at 6:45 p.m. Call Samantha at 562/432-7830 or e-mail email@example.com.