30th Anniversary By Giving Back
By Samantha Mehlinger - Staff Writer
October 22, 2013 – Naples Rib Company is celebrating its 30th corporate anniversary in November by donating 20 percent of its sales to 30 charitable organizations for 30 days.
Newport Rib Company, the company’s first restaurant location in Costa Mesa, is also participating. The celebration continues a tradition that began with the company’s 20th anniversary, for which 20 charities benefitted for 20 days. Five years later, co-owners David and John Ursini did something similar for the 25th anniversary.
David Ursini, co-owner of Naples Rib Company, stands just
outside the restaurant’s kitchen, where a sign proclaims,
“Good food comes from here!” Ursini co-owns Naples Rib
Company and Newport Rib Company with his brother,
(Photograph by the Business Journal’s Thomas McConville)
The Ursini brothers don’t wait around for anniversaries to give back to the community in other ways, however.
“We’re always trying to do stuff for the people and community around us,” David Ursini, said. Together, the restaurants donate about 600 free dinners for two each year, he said. While he has heard that other restaurateurs ask organizations to make their case for donations, Ursini typically grants requests without questions.
“I feel for any worthy cause in Long Beach. I have no problem donating a dinner for two,” he said.
Naples Rib Company also works with the community by providing gratis catering services for charitable causes, such as the “Taste of Los Al,” held on October 19, which benefits Los Alamitos High School. “We [are donating] $1,000 worth of staff time and food,” Ursini said.
Francis Ursini, David and John’s father, opened Newport Rib Company 30 years ago. Prior to that, he operated quick service locations on the Newport Beach boardwalk, including food and frozen treats stands. David Ursini said his father was inspired to open a barbecue restaurant after visiting Naples Rib Joint in the 1980s. When Naples Rib Joint came up for sale in 1992, he quickly purchased it.
The menu, which features barbecued seafood and meats, sandwiches, pastas and more, hasn’t changed much in the past 30 years, according to Ursini. In a recent renovation, he discovered an old menu from Naples Rib Joint tucked inside a wall. That menu directly inspired the dishes created by his uncle, Ron Bianco. Ursini reflected, “The menu is 80 percent the same.”
Organizations Benefiting From Naples Rib Company’s 30th Anniversary:
1. ALS Association
2. Alzheimer’s Association
3. Comprehensive AIDS Research Education Program
4. Celiac Disease Foundation’s Team Gluten-Free
5. Children Today
6. California State University, Long Beach Athletics
7. Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
8. Food Finders
9. For the Child
10. Grand Prix Foundation of Long Beach
11. Hotline of Southern California
12. Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
13. Justin Rudd’s Community Action Team and Haute Dogs
14. Kure It, Inc.’s Rivals United for a Kure
15. Long Beach Museum of Art’s Buy-A-Bus Program
16. Long Beach Opera
17. Long Beach Police Department’s Widows & Orphans Trust Fund
18. Los Cerritos Wetlands Land Trust
19. McKenna Claire Foundation for Pediatric Brain Cancer
20. National Charity League, South Coast Chapter
21. Pathways to Independence
22. Miller Children’s Hospital’s Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
23. Long Beach Ronald McDonald House
24. Rotary Club of Long Beach
25. Seal Beach Animal Care Shelter
26. Surfrider Foundation
27. Susan G. Komen Foundation
28. Talk About Curing Autism
29. WomenShelter of Long Beach
30. Wounded Warrior Project
Source: Naples Rib Company
Naples Rib Company is located at 5800 E. 2nd St., Long Beach, 562/439-4277. Newport Rib Company is located at 2196 Harbor Blvd. in Costa Mesa, 949/631-2110. Visit www.ribcompany.com for more information.